Share this to

By:Betty Luke

The United Kingdom’s decision to resume military training exercises at the British Army Training Unit Kenya (BATUK) has brought renewed hope to residents of Archers Post in Samburu County, where the suspension of the exercises had dealt a major blow to the local economy.

For months, businesses that relied on the presence of British troops struggled to stay afloat. Hotels, restaurants, transport operators, shops and fresh produce suppliers reported a sharp drop in customers, forcing some to scale down their operations.

The hardest hit were young people who had secured casual jobs during the training exercises. With the troops gone, many lost their only source of income, leaving households grappling with financial hardship.

Earlier this year, residents publicly appealed to the government to intervene and facilitate BATUK’s return, saying the once-vibrant trading centre had become unusually quiet and economic activity had slowed significantly.

“Many of the young people who lost their jobs at the BATUK camp have now indulged themselves into criminal activities to earn a livelihood,” noted a community elder.

On Tuesday, Prime Cabinet Secretary and Cabinet Secretary for Foreign and Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi welcomed the UK’s decision to proceed with the planned military training exercise at BATUK.

He said the decision reflected the enduring strength of the Kenya-UK defence partnership, which has supported cooperation in security, military training and regional stability for decades.

Mudavadi noted that the partnership advances Kenya’s national interests by strengthening the capabilities of the Kenya Defence Forces while contributing to peace and security in the region.

He added that the collaboration also supports Kenyan jobs and businesses, bringing significant economic benefits to communities that host the military training exercises.

“We value the close cooperation and shared commitment between Kenya and the United Kingdom that have enabled this positive outcome,” Mudavadi said, adding that Kenya remained committed to deepening the longstanding defence partnership.

The UK had announced that the 2026 Exercise Haraka Storm would be held outside Kenya after the two countries failed to secure the required licences, triggering uncertainty over the future of the BATUK partnership.

National Assembly Defence, Foreign Affairs and Intelligence Committee Chairperson Nelson Koech dismissed claims of political interference, saying the licensing delay stemmed from concerns over the legal framework governing British troops in Kenya, including issues of jurisdiction and accountability.

Koech said Kenya remained committed to its defence partnership with the UK but stressed that it must be anchored on accountability, respect for Kenyan law and addressing longstanding concerns, including the unresolved murder of Agnes Wanjiru.


Share this to

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *