By:Robert Mutasi

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has made a major breakthrough in the ongoing crackdown on a suspected counterfeit fertiliser syndicate, arresting more suspects and recovering thousands of bags of suspected counterfeit and expired fertiliser in Uasin Gishu County.
In the latest operation, detectives from the DCI Headquarters Operations Action Team (OAT) acting on intelligence raided premises in Kabenes area, Soy Sub-County, where they arrested three suspects identified as Rose Chemeli, the owner of the premises, Vincent Kibet, and Elias Kipkoech.
A search of the premises led to the recovery of approximately 3,500 bags of assorted suspected counterfeit fertiliser. The fertiliser has since been secured as exhibits as detectives intensify investigations to establish its source and distribution network.
“The suspects remain in custody, undergoing processing pending arraignment, while the recovered fertiliser has been secured as exhibits,” the DCI said in a statement.
The arrests come even as police in Uasin Gishu County arrested eight more suspects linked to a wider syndicate that is accused of repackaging expired fertiliser and selling it to unsuspecting farmers at inflated prices.
In a multi-agency raid conducted on Saturday in Moiben and Soy areas, security teams impounded about 4,000 bags of suspected expired fertiliser that had been repackaged and was being circulated in the local market.
Uasin Gishu County Commissioner Edison Nyale said preliminary reports indicate that fertiliser that had been earmarked for destruction after expiring was being diverted, repackaged in branded bags and sold to farmers at high premiums.
According to county police commander, some of the suspects arrested are repeat offenders who have previously been nabbed for similar offences and released, only to return to the illegal trade.
“So he’s a second offender, repeat offender,” the commander said, noting that investigations have been expanded to uncover the full chain of the syndicate.
Police said a team from DCI headquarters has been deployed to the county to assist with investigations and trace the source of the expired product and its movement into the market.
“We are carrying out serious investigations. We have a team from the DCI headquarters. They are with us and they are assisting us with verification at least to establish where the source is,” an officer involved in the operation said.
Samples of the seized fertiliser from both operations have been shipped to the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) and the Anti-Counterfeit Authority for laboratory testing to determine authenticity, composition and safety for farm use.
Authorities have urged farmers to remain vigilant and only purchase farm inputs from licensed and approved vendors, warning that use of counterfeit or expired fertiliser not only leads to massive crop losses but also poses risks to soil health.
The crackdown comes at a time when farmers across the North Rift are preparing for the planting season and demand for fertiliser is high, a period that unscrupulous traders often exploit.
Police said the operation will continue across the county and neighbouring regions until the entire network is dismantled and all those involved are brought to book.
