By:Robert Mutasi

Parents and students affected by the Sh1 billion Finland education program in Uasin Gishu County have taken to the streets of Eldoret to demand refunds a day after a court acquitted Sen. Jackson Mandago and two others.
The demonstrations on Wednesday came after a Nakuru court ruled that the prosecution had failed to prove its case against Mandago, who is the former Uasin Gishu governor, and his co-accused.
Senior Principal Magistrate Alloyce Ndege dismissed all charges after reviewing testimony from 138 witnesses, most of them victims.
“I dismiss all charges against the accused persons and acquit them,” Ndege said, closing one of the most closely watched trials in recent years.
The decision has left more than 350 families stranded, many of whom deposited millions of shillings with the county government for overseas study opportunities that never materialized.
According to testimony, parents and students were promised a one-time payment to cover all costs, including tuition, accommodation and airfare to Finland and Canada. However, many later faced additional fees and debts, while others never traveled at all.

The scandal dates to Mandago’s tenure as governor, when the county government collected funds from parents under formal agreements to facilitate education abroad. While some learners secured placements in Finland and Canada, many others were left behind despite paying large sums.
Protesters, led by affected parents and students, marched through Eldoret town carrying placards and chanting, demanding that the county government refund their money. They said they sold land, exhausted retirement savings and took loans of more than Sh1 million per student.
Shadrack Juma, who said he lost Sh1.2 million, vowed that victims would not relent until they receive full refunds.
“The court has made its decision but we paid our money to the county and failed to get the study opportunities. We will not tire until justice is done,” Juma said.
Victims have now threatened to storm the county offices Tuesday to press for refunds, insisting that current Governor Jonathan Bii must take responsibility for ensuring their money is returned. They also plan to pursue ongoing cases in small claims courts, signaling that the acquittal has not ended their quest for justice.
The ruling has reignited anger among families who say they entrusted their money to the county government. For many, the acquittal has deepened a sense of betrayal.
Parents are calling on the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission to launch fresh investigations and on President William Ruto to intervene.
The county government has previously said some funds were paid to foreign institutions and that efforts were being made to place students or issue refunds, but parents say those promises have not been fulfilled.
For affected families, the focus has now shifted to civil claims and political pressure as they continue to seek accountability and refunds.
