By:Robert Mutasi

A village in Kiang’eni Location, Nyamira County is in mourning after a 64-year-old woman was brutally killed in a suspected arson attack on her home on the night of July 30, 2026.
The victim, identified as Jane, was reportedly attacked inside her newly built bungalow before the house was set on fire. According to preliminary reports, assailants broke the windows of the house – with shattered glass still scattered on the veranda – before gaining entry and setting her bedroom ablaze.
Graphic images from the scene showed a burnt bed, charred beddings and walls blackened by smoke, indicating the intensity of the fire that is believed to have led to her death.
Confirming the incident, Kiang’eni Location Chief Erick Tito said police have launched investigations into the murder, which has shocked the quiet village. The chief said they received a distress call in the morning and rushed to the scene only to find the house smouldering and the elderly woman dead inside.
“We received information about the incident and we have started investigations. We are urging residents to remain calm and allow the police to do their work,” said Chief Tito.
The family is now crying for justice, saying the killing was premeditated and linked to a land dispute. Speaking to Daily Nation, the victim’s niece Nyamoita Ndumbi said her aunt had been living alone in the house after completing its construction and had previously expressed fear over threats from unknown people.
“She was a peaceful woman. She had just finished building her house and moved in. We don’t understand why someone would do this to her. She was burnt inside her own bedroom,” Ndumbi said tearfully.
Jane’s nephew, Samuel Aviera, said the family was devastated and called on the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) to speed up investigations and arrest the perpetrators.
“We are asking the government to help us get justice. Our aunt did not deserve to die like this. Those who did this must be brought to book,” Aviera said.
The body of the deceased was moved to the Nyamira County Referral Hospital mortuary awaiting post-mortem as detectives from Nyamira North Sub-County continue with investigations.
Cases of elderly people being attacked over land and property disputes have been on the rise in Nyamira and Kisii counties, with local administrators now calling for community dialogue and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms to prevent such heinous acts.
Police said no arrests have been made so far, but investigations are ongoing.
